Helen Browne, known affectionately as “Brownie”, Miss Browne came to Frontier Nursing Service as a young nurse-midwife on July 28, 1938. In her early years, she served as a district nurse-midwife and was appointed Supervisor of the Hyden Hospital during World War II. In 1947, Brownie was named Assistant Director of FNS. Upon the death of Mary Breckinridge, Brownie was unanimously elected Director on May 18, 1965. She served in that capacity for 11 years until her retirement from the Service in 1975. Under her leadership, the Mary Breckinridge Hospital was built and the FNS educational program was expanded to combine family nursing and nurse-midwifery into an integrated curriculum.